NASAA BOARD OF DIRECTOR'S MEETING
2100 HRS, EST, 24 JUL 03
Meeting Site - "ASA Open Chat" from Home Page
I. Meeting Call to Order (Chairman) 2100 hrs, EST, 24 Jul 03
II. Roll Call (Secretary)
Charlie Absent with justification – picking up son/s from airport
III. A. Reading of the Minutes (Secretary) The May, 2003 minutes were previously approved and posted to the website. The Webmaster will re-sort minutes on site in descending order.
B. Treasurer’s Report (Treasurer) The Report was provided by email to the BoD and approved. Webmaster to post 2003 reports to the site in descending order. Posted reports are official. Balance as of June 30, 2003 is $7,573.79.
IV. Assorted Reports
A. PX Status (S-4) Reorder submitted for ASA window stickers; payment forwarded. There has been a price increase for polo shirts; cost now $28. The vendor is still getting orders at the old price. The website data revised to reflect the new price.
B. Website (Webmaster) Actions being taken by the Webmaster can be
tracked by reading "What's New" on our site. Key items addressed during meet:
1. Webmaster notified the BoD that an upgrade to Bravenet features is available for $69 per year. Major feature is ability to block Pop-Up Adds (e.g., Log Book, Battle Zone). The BoD and membership hate them. The Chairman immediately motioned to go for the upgrade. Seconded by Lon and passed by all. The Webmaster will evaluate how to use the additional upgrade features, and will incorporate then as appropriate, and as time permits.
2.Jake volunteered that he had a site (shareware?) that blocks POP-Ups.
BoD discussion resulted in the conclusion that the Webmaster will post the link to our download area. Means to stop spamming were also discussed. If free spam blocker shareware can be located, the link to it will also be posted to our download area. In this regard, the BoD discussed the need for posting a disclaimer in the download area. The BoD felt that we should try to provide potentially useful links, but do not claim responsibility for their functionality, etc. Webmaster and BoD JAG (Lon) to coordinate this effort.
3. Added two declassified historical documents to the history section. Items provided by Mr. Bill Morgan of INSCOM and former ASA guy. Documents relate to intelligence from the WWII era. Other significant material from Mr. Morgan that will/may be posted in the future is also available
4. Added "DATELINE" link. Contributions/articles have been received and posted from BoD members Wayne, Duke, Jake and Lon as well as NASAA member, Niles Carlson. Looks like this feature is a popular addition and will get membership interest.
5. Added a "Photo Album" in the history section as a means to collect and post memorable pictures provided by the membership.
6. Added and will continue to add counters to selected web pages to assist the BoD in determining what stays and what goes.
7. Notified the BoD that Bravenet has changed the format of some of the features they provide. The Log Book and Battle Zone remain functional, but spell check and preview functions are absent. This is being researched via communications with the Bravenet Provider.
8. Notified the BoD of mass mailing to the membership asking them to take a look at the site. Indicated that a number of emails are being returned as no good. Need members to inform the BoD and/or Webmaster when members change the address and/or change service providers.
C. Membership (Secretary & Wayne) – Created some discussion. The Chairman showed Membership as a (Duke and Wayne). Because Wayne performed both the Secretary and Treasurer functions admirably for so long, division of duties is unclear now that we have a functional Secretary. Though membership is traditionally a Secretary function, we opted to maintain status quo with Wayne continuing to collect membership dues and to maintain the membership database. Membership stands at 512. Webmaster to prune web posted roster, as best as possible, to insure web and Wayne's data are in sync. Webmaster to add Monthly membership gains and renewals to the site as had been previous practice; in descending order.
V. Old Business
A. Membership - Open discussion; some (very few) new members have sent in dues reflecting the $10 renewal rate. We discussed what is causing that. Maybe the dues data is confusing. We decided to look at what's posted and see if we can come up with a dues structure and membership/renewal form that is more clear and user friendly.
B. Support of INSCOM soldiers participating in Iraqi Freedom. We continue to evaluate how we can do this. Discussion tabled by the Chairman this meeting due to time constraints, but can/will be email discussed between meetings.
C. INSCOM Discussion – Our website and Bylaws make it clear that
INSCOM personnel are able to join the NASAA. We continue to seek ways to get INSCOM personnel involved. We are bantering around the idea of recommending a change to the Bylaws to add two new seats specifically for INSCOM members. This makes involvement official and should encourage significant increases in membership from the INSCOM side of our family. Discussion tabled by the Chairman this meeting due to time constraints, but can/will be email discussed between meetings.
VI. New Business
A. The Chairman reminded the BoD that elections are coming up and asked the BoD to review Bylaw directed policy and procedures. Four seats are up for election/reelection. BoD members desiring to run need to update their Bio, if required, and whatever they wish to prepare in support of their continuation as members of the BoD.
VII. Adjournment A motion to adjourn was submitted by Duke and seconded by the Chairman. All approved. Chairman adjourned the meeting at 2259 hours, EST, 24 Jul 2003.