NASAA BOARD OF DIRECTOR'S MEETING
2100 HRS, EST, 26 Oct 06
Meeting Site - YAHOO!
I. Meeting Call to Order (Chairman) The meeting was called to order at 2112 hours, EST.
II. Roll Call (Secretary) The Chairman is standing in for the Secretary.
Duke Excused - Computer down
III. A. Reading of the Minutes Last minutes approved and posted.
B. Treasures Report (Treasurer) The latest financial report, as of 30 Sep 06, is approved and posted; the balance is $8,208.01.
IV. Assorted Reports
A. PX Status (S-4): Inventory status report will be completed and forwarded to BoD members ASAP. There was open discussion on finding new items for the PX. Jake suggested Coffee Mugs and Caps with our latest NASAA logo on it. All agree to look for ideas and to chat the subject up via email and/or messenger.
B. Website (Webmaster): The BoD reached the website agenda item before Chui was able to join. It was the consensus of those present that Chui has been doing a fantastic job with the site. When Chui joined the meeting (impossible to make the commute home for our start time) the following was reported/discussed:
1) We have successfully obtained more space from our service
provider and migrated material without any apparent loss of data. The changeover was near seamless.
2) Chui is working through the site, section by section. TAPs will be the next undertaking. All BoD members are asked to report any glitches and broken links, etc., noticed.
3) Chui is also going to rework the site map and raised a question about chat sections/pages. The BoD will do its chatting on Yahoo as we do our meetings. Discussion surfaced that our past and present effort to establish chat capability for the membership hasn't really taken off while some individual ASA groups are quite active. Nothing definitive came from discussion, but it did inspire thoughts of establishing a NASAA group on Yahoo similar to what assorted ASA groups are doing. Chui, Jake and Chuck will pursue this. Effort will include emailing all members to let them know a site is being/is established and inviting them to join. Team effort!
C. Membership (To Be Determined)
V. Old Business
A. Annual Election Status/Results - This was the main event and discussion topic for this meeting. The Chairman reminded himself, Monte and Charlie to update their Bio and to submit notice of intent to run for reelection. Between the meeting, and prior to preparation of these minutes, Monte notified the BoD that he did not intend to run, leaving two contenders for three seats. Discussion flowed into determining how election news would be passed and how it would be conducted and the determination was made to use tools available via Yahoo. Once again there was discussion on how to improve participation by the membership, both to compete for available seats and to actively vote. BoD members hope that Yahoo tools will improve communication with the membership and help inspire interest.
B. Treasurer resolution - The Chairman offered to assume the position of Treasurer and to retain the chairmanship until/unless it got too difficult to do both and requested agreement by vote. The vote was unanimous. Between the meeting, and prior to preparation of these minutes, potentially life threatening health issues forced the Chairman to request relief from the Treasurer duties and Wayne Atwell, the most capable Treasurer the organization has had, volunteered and has rejoined the BoD as Treasurer. The BoD tips their collective hats to Wayne. Welcome back!
C. Changes to the By-Laws - (Continuing discussion) The Chairman led discussion and the base question was: Should we amend them to...
1) Permit continued participation by BoD Members Emeritus (e.g., Lon, Wayne, and Larry) so they can continue to participate as desired/compelled, but not in a required to participate status? This retains expertise/continuity and workers on a voluntary basis. Additionally, should they have a vote? The result of discussion is that former BoD members are encouraged to continue working with the BoD as their time permits and are welcome to join us on Yahoo for meetings unless the additional numbers strain commo capability on Yahoo and/or ability to complete business on the agenda in the short time available. Voting rights were not addressed.
2) Add three seats specifically earmarked for members of INSCOM. This move could help draw INSCOM people/vets to the NASAA. Due to time constraints, the Chairman urged the BoD to address this item via email prior to additional treatment at a later date. Brief discussion indicates some concern about the additional numbers and larger size of the BoD. One seat might be workable. In fact, INSCOM personnel have always been allowed to compete for seats so there is already annual access to positions on the BoD and some of our past BoD members (e.g., Larry) had INSCOM ties.
D. Meeting Schedule - The BoD voted unanimously to resume monthly meetings. Meetings are to be held via conference capability on Yahoo Messenger. As a general rule, meetings will be the 4th Thursday of the month at the new starting time of 2130 hours EST. Flexibility in scheduling a specific meeting is permitted should it be determined that key members would be absent on the normally scheduled date.
VI. New Business
A. YAHOO!!! All the discussion about YAHOO makes it new business regardless of when it came up during the meeting (which it did...often). The BoD, from the tone of discussion, will probably exploit every available tool that enhances communication with the membership and permits beneficial things to be accomplished.
The Chairman adjourned the meeting, but failed to note the time.