304th MILITARY INTELLIGENCE BATTALION
COAT OF ARMS
Shield: Azure, a voided isosceles triangle point up sable enclosing a vine leaf or and surmounted in chief by a lozenge fesswise argent bearing a Korean taeguk all between two lightning flashes, points up gules, fimbriated or.
Crest: On a wreath of the colors, or and azure, a demi-griffin of the last armed and langued gules grasping in dexter claw a dagger or, all within a laurel wreath of the like.
Motto: HONOR VIGILANCE DUTY.
Symbolism: The diamond and taeguk simulate an eye, and the lightning flashes connote technology; together they represent the vigilance, celerity, and communication of Army Security Agency units. They also allude to the lineage and service of the organization in World War II and the Korean War. The vine leaf refers to the Rhine province and denotes the unit's participation in the Rhineland campaign. The taeguk represents Korea, where the unit participated in six campaigns. It is also used to symbolize the award of the Meritorious Unit Commendation (Army) Streamer inscribed KOREA. Black is used on the triangle to connote iron and refers to the Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation Streamer with the inscription IRON TRIANGLE. Oriental blue represents the military intelligence branch. The griffin, a traditional symbol of intelligence, resourcefulness, and courage, emphasizes the qualities required of battalion personnel and recalls the European theater of operations. its claws and tongue are scarlet, denoting courage and sacrifice. It holds a dagger, a reference to the dangers of covert activities and a symbol of preparedness. The wreath refers to all honors and achievements associated with the unit during its history Gold signifies excellence.
DISTINCTIVE UNIT INSIGNIA
The distinctive unit insignia consists of elements of the coat of arms.
LINEAGE RA (active)
- Constituted 15 April 1944 in the Army of the United States as the 590th Signal Depot Company .
- Activated 7 June 1944 in North Africa.
- Inactivated 4 December 1945 at Camp Patrick Henry, Virginia.
- Redesignated 17 March 1948 as the 848th Signal Radio Relay Company and allotted to the Organized Reserves. (Organized Reserves redesignated 25 March 1948 as the Organized Reserve Corps; redesignated 9 July 1952 as the Army Reserve.)
- Activated 2 April 1948 at Rochester, New York.
- Inactivated IO November 1948 at Rochester, New York.
- Redesignated I1 February 1949 as the 848th Signal Service Company .
- Activated 10 March 1949 at Fort Myer, Virginia. Ordered into active military service 11 September 1950 at Fort Myer, Virginia.
- Converted and redesignated 2 October 1950 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 304th Communication Reconnaissance Battalion .
- Released from active military service 25 June 1955 and reverted to reserve status.
- Inactivated 18 August 1955 at Fort Myer, Virginia.
- Redesignated 1 April 1975 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 304th Army Security Agency Battalion , and activated at Houston, Texas.
- Location changed 27 October 1976 to Pasadena, Texas.
- Inactivated 15 September 1988 at Pasadena, Texas.
- Redesignated 1 February 1990 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 304th Military Intelligence Battalion ; concurrently withdrawn from the Army Reserve and allotted to the Regular Army
- Headquarters transferred 17 August 1990 to the United States Army Training and Doctrine Command and activated at Fort Huachuca, Arizona.
CAMPAIGN PARTICIPATION CREDIT
World War II
- CCF Spring Offensive
- UN Summer-Fall Offensive
- Second Korean Winter
- Korea, Summer-Fall 1952
- Third Korean Winter
- Korea, Summer 1953
- Meritorious Unit Commendation (Army), Streamerembroidered KOREA (Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 304th Communication Reconnaissance Battalion, cited; DA GO 22, 1954)
- Army Superior Unit Award, Streamer embroidered 1990-1991 (304th Military Intelligence Battalion cited; DA GO 6, 1992)
- Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation, Streamer embroidered IRON TRIANGLE (304th Communication Reconnaissance Battalion cited; DA GO 29, 1954, as amended by DA GO 47, 1954)