This history page does not include the Years in Korea.
On 16 May 1942, personnel drawn from the 125th Radio Intelligence Company departed Fort Lewis, Washington, for Camp Crowder "Shantytown", Missouri, where a new unit, the 116th Signal Radio Intelligence Company was activated on 18 May 1942 and assigned to the Second Army. Crowder was only six months old then, and although most of the wooden buildings were completed a great many of the roads were not. On 25 April 1943, the company was relieved from the Second Army and was assigned to the XIII Corps in Fort DuPont, Delaware, as a permanent change of station. Soon after the unit was transferred, to A.P. Hill Military Reservation 25 September 1943, it was later transferred to Camp Shanks, New York Port of Embarkation, enroute to permanent overseas station. On 31 January 1944, the 116th departed for arrival at Liverpool, England, by 11 February 1944 to be assigned to US Forces, European Theatre. The Company disembarked in England 1944. By May 17 1945, the 116th had established Command Post at Scheyern, Bavaria Germany.
After arriving in Scheyern, the 116th occupied the site of a former German Air Force, Air Warning and Fighting Control Headquarters. The site was selfcontained with billets, mess, recreational facilities, and operational rooms. On 30 June 1945, the 116th was assigned to Special Troops, 12th Detachment D, located in Russelheim, Germany. By 30 July, the company was relieved from 12th Army Group and assigned to the Third US Army.
During World War II, the 116th Signal Radio Intelligence Company was awarded credit for four campaigns. They were awarded battle credit for the Rhineland Campaign, Northern France Campaign, Ardennes-Alsace Campaign and the Central Europe Campaign.
On 15 January 1946, the 116th Signal Radio Intelligence Company was redesignated 116 Signal Service Company with an effective strength of nine officers and 248 enlisted men. Effective 1 February 1946, the company was relived from assignment to the Third US Army and assigned to Headquarters, ASA Europe. By 30 June 1946, the Signal Service Company had only 26 enlisted men assigned due to large scale redeployment drain. German civilians had to be hired as motor mechanics, cooks, carpenters, radio mechanics, electricians, firemen, interpreters etc. Throughout the fiscal year 1947 replacements arrived in sufficient quantity to off-set redeployment and to increase the company strength as of 30 June 1947 to nine officers, two warrant officers and 157 enlisted men.
During fiscal year 1948, the 116th provided coverage on the consolidated mission designated by Hqs, ASA. Although the small number of operators at this station permitted only partial coverage of the mission, steady progress in operational efficiency was made throughout the year and important intercept material was produced. This year also saw a new mess hall designed and formally opened on 25 January 1948. Resembling a modern cafeteria, with a large painting of the Manhattan Skyline, the mess hall was considered to be one of the finest in the European Command. The military community for dependants at this time was located in Pfaffenhofen, a few miles from the operational site.
On 10 March 1951, the unit moved from their fixed location in Scheyern, Germany, to Herzogenaurach, Germany, and from there to Coburg, Germany, on 16 April 1951 where full mobile operation was enacted. The Company strength as of June 1951 was six officers, three warrant officers and 161 enlisted personnel. The 116th moved from Coburg, Germany, on 9 July 1951 to Baumholder, Germany, and then to Heilbronn, Germany on 22 August 1951. As of 25 October 1951, the 116th Signal Service Company was redesignated 332d Communications Reconnaissance Company.
During the fiscal year 1953, the 332d was located in Harris Barracks, Coburg, Germany, on a five month temporary change of station from its home station at Badnerhof Kaserne. The unit also operated at Hoff Germany, from 10 August 1952 to 18 November 1952, returning to Heilbronn on the latter date and moving to Harris Barracks on 2 June 1953. By 25 August 1952, the unit was further assigned to the 302d Communications Reconnaissance Battalion, 502d CR Group. The unit at this time had an average assigned strength of eight officers, three warrant officers and 334 enlisted personnel. On 6 January 1954, the unit moved from Coburg to Warner Barracks, Bamberg, Germany, located approximately 30 miles north of Nuremberg and 125 east of Frankfurt. The unit shared the site with the 334th CRC until 7 January 1955 when the 302d took over complete command of the site. By June 1955, the 334th CRC was transferred to Company A, 302 CR Battalion.
The 332d CRC commenced movement to Bad Aibling Kaserne the latter part of October and was completed by 7 November 1955. Upon the move the unit was reattached from the 302d CRB to the 312th CRB. Here the unit absorbed the personnel of Det K, Field Station (8608). By 1 July 1956, the 332d CRC was redesignated the 332d Army Security Agency Company. The unit was inactivated in Germany on 15 October 1957. The 332d was activated 30 September 1971 in Korea and inactivated 16 October 1988 in Korea.