522d MILITARY INTELLIGENCE BATTALION
COAT OF ARMS
Shield: Azure, on a bend engrailed plain cottised between a winged sphinx couchant argent and a taeguk gules and azure fimbriated of the second, a lightning flash gules.
Crest: None approved.
Motto: THE EQUALIZERS.
Symbolism: Oriental blue and silver gray are the colors used for military intelligence. The winged sphinx is symbolic of all-seeing and eternal vigilance, and the taeguk refers to the unit™s Korean War service. The electronic warfare intelligence capability of the organization is represented by the engrailed bend, and the lightning flash is indicative of speed in communication and intelligence gathering.
DISTINCTIVE UNIT INSIGNIA
The distinctive unit insignia is the shield and motto of the coat of arms.
LINEAGE RA (inactive)
- Organized 1 September 1950 at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, as the 522d Military Intelligence Service Detachment. (Constituted 20 September 1950 in the Regular Army.)
- Inactivated 28 December 1951 in Korea.
- Redesignated 23 June 1954 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 522d Military Intelligence Battalion (Companies A and B concurrently constituted).
- Battalion activated 27 July 1954 in Germany
- Inactivated 15 August 1958 in Germany
- Assigned 21 December 1976 to the 2d Armored Division and activated at Fort Hood, Texas.
- (373d Army Security Agency Company [see ANNEX 1] consolidated 16 October 1979 with Company A; 502d Military Intelligence Company [see ANNEX 2] concurrently consolidated with Company B.)
- Inactivated 15 April 1991 at Fort Hood, Texas.
- Activated 16 December 1992 at Fort Polk, Louisiana.
- Inactivated 15 January 1996 at Fort Hood, Texas.
- Constituted 11 May 1962 in the Regular Army as Company B, 303d Army Security Agency Battalion.
- Activated 25 June 1962 at Fort Benning, Georgia.
- Reorganized and redesignated 15 October 1966 as the 373d Army Security Agency Company .
- Constituted 21 June 1944 in the Army of the United States as the 520th Counter Intelligence Corps Detachment.
- Activated 1 July 1944 at Camp Campbell, Kentucky.
- Allotted 17 December 1948 to the Regular Army
- Reorganized and redesignated 25 January 1958 as the 502d Military Intelligence Detachment.
- Consolidated 28 December 1961 with the 502d Counter intelligence Corps Detachment (see ANNEX 3) and consolidated unit designated as the 502d Military Intelligence Detachment.
- Reorganized and redesignated 8 January 1971 as the 502d Military Intelligence Company.
- Constituted 12 July 1944 in the Army of the United States as the 502d Counter Intelligence Corps Detachment.
- Activated 16 August 1944 in France with personnel from provisional Counter Intelligence Corps detachment attached to the 2d Armored Division.
- Inactivated 14 October 1946 in Germany
- Activated 10 May 1947 on Guam.
- Inactivated 14 March 1950 on Guam.
CAMPAIGN PARTICIPATION CREDIT
- UN Offensive
- CCF Intervention
- First UN Counteroffensive
- CCF Spring Offensive
- UN Summer-Fall Offensive
- Second Korean Winter
Company B additionally entitled to:
- Defense of Saudi Arabia
- Liberation and Defense of Kuwait
World War II-EAME
- Northern France
- Central Europe
Company B entitled to:
- Belgian Fourragere 1940 (2d Armored Division cited; DA GO 43, 1950)
- Cited in the Order of the Day of the Belgian Army for action in Belgium (2d Armored Division cited; DA GO 43, 1950)
- Cited in the Order of the Day of the Belgian Army for action in the Ardennes (2d Armored Division cited; DA GO 43, 1950)